I love suncatchers and when a friend of mine had a picture of handmade suncatchers on her Facebook page, I had to figure out how to do it! Looking through several sites, picking and choosing what I like, Oyvia and I put it to the test and we LOVE them!
This project was surprisingly easy and the end results were better than I anticipated.
So here’s the scoop on how to make your masterpieces….
I purchased disposable muffin tins and cake tins for this project. I only paid $1.98 for a set of 6 at Walmart. I also bought a container of 1500 translucent Pony Beads for under $5.00 and another bag of shiny smaller beads because I liked the shimmery color they had. You’ll need some string, twine or fishing line for hanging them later as well.
Arrange 1 layer of beads in the bottom of each tin. Make colorful patterns and designs or just toss them in. We made sure that all the beads were laying down neatly, but end results showed us that you don’t have to have them perfect. This being said, this project has just expanded to ages of preschool to adult.
Once your beads are arranged in your tins, they’re ready to be “cooked”. We preheated our outdoor grill then placed our tins on and closed the grill for the beads to melt. You’ll most likely have to move the tins around to get even heat.
In less than 10 minutes the beads were melted and looked like liquid.
The reason why we used the grill is because years ago we did a bead project in the oven and it made the entire house smell for hours, it was horrible. You could pull a toaster oven outside, but the grill was very quick and easy!
Wait about 15 minutes for the catchers to cool and then they will easily pop out of the tins.
These came out of the muffin tins. The next time we do this, I’m going to do mini muffin tins and turn them into necklaces or for buttons on flip flops.
Some of our bigger catchers had some gaps in them which left a hole for us to put the string though. Olyvia made a really neat pattern and left a lot of space in between so we have a lot of airy space in between lots of color. It was very neat. She’s so creative, I love seeing what she’ll come up with! For those catchers that were solid, we had to drill a small hole in the top so we could string it up.