It’s February vacation and we’re excited to not have the structured days of school days. It’s all about not having to rush off and having fun this week and we’re going to do it without breaking the bank!
I have a few tips for you this morning but come back tonight when I’ve added many more…..
Don’t book your hotel over the phone. Drive there and be a walk in reservation for a really low rate!
If you’re wanting to go on an overnight, call several hotels in the area you’re going to to see how much availability they have. Do this the day before or day of your wanted arrival. If there’s a lot of availability in the area, don’t book your night over the phone, drive there instead and go in as a walk in to get a ridiculous low price. We did this last year. We went in about dinnertime to the hotel, ended up getting a family suite for $130, when it was booked at $340! I’d recommend this Sunday-Wednesday. Typically Thursday and the weekend are close to booked so you probably won’t get such a super rate or any at all.
Go where the deals are!
This is a family rule for us and it works out well for us. We go where the deals are or where we have coupons! This weekend the kids already went Rock Climbing at Vertical Dreams** and Bowling at Lakeside Lanes with our Buy 1 Get 1 Free coupons and then got to enjoy Dairy Queen Blizzards for 1/2 off too! The kids had a great time and want to go back again during vacation. No problem! We have more coupons!!!
**Little side note..if you’re sending kids with someone else to Vertical Dreams or taking someone else’s kids with you, make sure parents fill out the waiver form for their child before they go.
Make it special!
I like to go out to eat, but the bill for 6 people is pretty darn high. So, when we do we make it a special night and again I still find a deal to go along with it. Maybe with a coupon or maybe with the restaurant offering family specials. This week there’s an awesome family special with T-Bones and Cactus Jacks! Kids eat free through Wednesday. We go every time they have this! Two Free Kids Meal With Every Adult Meal, Feb 24-Feb 26.
Places that are a one of a kind experience that won’t break the bank!
I love to find different places to go with the family. This week we’re heading to the Ice Castles in Loon. I was very surprised to see their prices were very reasonable! Get outdoor fresh air, family time and of a kind photos!
Fresh air, exploring and exercise!
I went snowshoeing for the first time and I love it! It was pretty cold and windy but a within 10 minutes your body is nice and warm and you stroll along the paths in the woods. We say so many animal prints for turkeys to rabbits and “dogs”.
Spoil yourselves with tubing!
Sledding is a blast, but tubing at McIntyre Ski Area is as we New Englanders say, wicked fun! Fly down the slopes and then stand on the magic carpet to head back up! We haven’t gone at night yet, but plan to over vacation. I can’t wait!
Some Vacation Tips:
- Instead of eating out, pack your lunch, snacks and drinks.
- If you do choose to eat out, look online for coupons. Sometimes it’s as easy as a text or email sign up to get instant coupons.
- Eating out at lunch is usually cheaper than eating out at dinner.
- Sign up for daily deal sites and watch during the year for fun places to go to with really deep discount.
- Remember weekends are always going to be busier than the weekdays. If you can go between Monday and Wednesday, most places are a lot slower.
- If going to a museum or other place of interest, check to see if getting a family pass for a year is cheaper if you have a larger family. Almost always it is for our family and we go back a few more times during the year.
- Planning some stay at home vacation days can be a blast if you put a little thought into it. A game of clue, charades, make your own banana splits, make a family of snowmen, watch a movie together, better yet make and watch home movies etc. These are the kinds of things that make the best memories.