In an attempt to reduce chemicals in my home I have started making my own laundry detergent and dryer sheets! I’m so incredibly happy with the outcome and want to share my recipe with you! I did a lot of research before making this (especially since borax seems to be controversial- my finding is that it’s misunderstood) and feel really good about what is in it and how it works! So lets get started!
For the detergent you’re going to need:
4 cups of Borax
4 cups of Arm and Hammer Washing Soda
2 cups of Arm and Hammer Baking Soda
2 Bars of Dr. Bronner’s Levander Castille Soap
20 Drops of your favorite lavender essential oil
You will also need a food processor with an S-blade and a grater, a big bowl or pot with a cover, and a large spoon for mixing.
1. Chop the soap into small cubes
2. Using the food processor grate into small pieces.
3. Using the S-Blade process the soap into a finer consistency. It will be lumpy and less like a powder so don’t get caught up in trying to make it powdery!
4. Add the soap and all of the other dry ingredients into the bowl or pot and stir until combined completely. I took mine out to the back porch because it did get dusty!
5. Add in essential oil and mix well.
6. Store in an air tight container.
1-2 tbls per load works for me! I also add vinegar to the fabric softener compartment to soften the laundry. Don’t worry! You’re laundry wont smell like vinegar! I promise!
For the fabric softener sheets you will need:
1/2- 1 cup of vinegar
10’drops of Lavender essential oil
An airtight container
1. Cut the wipes into smaller sheets, fold them individually and place them into the container.
2. Mix the vinegar and essential oil and slowly pour over the sheets. You want the sheets to all be damp but not soaking in the vinegar. Its really just essential that they’re wet without any extra liquid in the container!
I throw one sheet in the dryer with each load!
Hope you love this as much as I do! Let me know!